Thursday, December 21, 2006

AIESEC Alumni Party

Last night I went to the AIESEC Alumni Event that was held in collaboration between the 3 AIESEC locals here. There was a presentation given by an alumni who talked about interns that had come to Nagoya when he was in AIESEC more than 26 years ago. He also talked about his own internship in Turkey and other places he had gone, like the United States and Singapore. I didn't understand his presentation since it was given in Japanese, but I did get the chance to talk to him during the networking section of the night.

Since the internet was not in use back then, this alumni actually had his internship cancelled but didn't find out until he had landed in Turkey. So he had no airport reception and he almost didn't have a job. Although the firm that he was supposed to work for had shut down some of its operations due to the oil crisis, he was lucky and the company let him work for a month. At, least, that's how I understand it.

The best part of the presentation I think was a video he had of an intern who went to Nagoya 27 years ago. He got into contact with this person who was from the United States and asked him to do a video for this presentation. It makes me think of how deep AIESEC roots are. Things go way back and I'm excited to be a part of it and to think how it will be in the future, 26 years from now. I could even be making a video for future AIESEC babies!

At the end of the event, I was asked to introduce myself to the whole group and I was surprised that the alumni were asking me questions in really good English. I guess to do business internationally, it is important to know English. I was happy that I got to go to this event, it was definately a good experience. I also learned that the new President of the International Energy Association will be an AIESEC alumni of Japan!

3 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Blogger cyclich said...

craziness hehe, just think, 26yrs ago u werent even around !

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds amazing! its crazy to think that aiesec existed before us and will exist after us... oh the aiesec babies.. im sure some will be created at nc ;)

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger ~diana~ said...

thanks nith, i don't want to think about that actually. have fun at nc tho.

and wow, you're right, i wasn't even born yet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home