Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Japanese Culture Lesson 1 - The QR code

Before I start, I'd like to say that I saw people planting flowers in the planters at the train station and I thought to myself...but what about winter? It's getting chilly and rainy, but I guess it doesn't get really cold for awhile.

I discovered something really cool the other day and thought I'd share. In Japan, they have this coding system which is similar to the barcode but has much more coding capabilities... try several hundred time more information. It's called the QR coding system and you can find more information at this site: http://www.denso-wave.com/qrcode/qrfeature-e.html . The cool thing about this is that people can scan this code into their phones and get information through the internet on their phones. For example, my friend and I scanned in the code from a McDonald's cheeseburger wrapper and we got the nutritional value of it! And I see this code everywhere, on advertisements on the subway, on flyers, on my McDonald's food... Only problem, my phone doesn't have a camera nor can I go on the internet. I must be the only person here. :( But the information ends up being in Japanese anyways so it's not like I could do much with it yet.

6 Comments:

At 10:53 PM, Blogger cyclich said...

that is cool
one of my msn spaces has that too
http://cyclich.spaces.live.com/
except i never update it

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Blanka said...

Diana, I'm getting the sence that you are eating a lot of McDonalds there... BAD. I had my first McDonalds meal since I came to Europe the other day, great for the hangover but that lasted about half an hour

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger ~diana~ said...

I've only had McDonalds 4 times since being here, and that is almost a month. I know, it's more than what I have at home but they're everwhere here and it's great for when I'm on the go!

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Amber said...

What good is the bike uphill going to do if you're eating the Big Mac on the way down? Reminds me of us eating taquitos at 3 am that time - oh wait, maybe that was just me eating taquitos...

 
At 6:32 AM, Blogger kent said...

That is cool.

How is McDonald's customized its menu for Japan? Do they have sushi?

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger ~diana~ said...

no sushi, but right now they have this chicken pita thing. the sauce the chicken has is like a soya sauce base. and aside from lettuce, there's this asian vegetable in it too. i think last month they had like a potatoe burger or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home