Saturday, December 02, 2006

December 2 - Asuke in Toyota City


My roommate had a day off today so I went with her and her older sister’s family to Asuke which is in Toyota City. It was about an hours drive away and it’s in the mountains kind of. Compared to the Rocky Mountains, the mountains here so far seem like big hills but maybe that’s just my opinion.

Again, when we got to our destination, we had to walk through an area that sold treats and souvenirs. I haven’t actually stopped to try out the treats yet but I’m really tempted to. I’m sure I’ll have a lot of opportunities in the future though.

The scenery in this place was amazing. Oh Amber, you’d love it here! Living in Calgary, you kind of miss autumn. The trees don’t stay red for very long and before you know it, you’ve practically gone from summer to winter. Anyways, there was a little village that we went to that kind of reminds me of Heritage Park back at home except with a Japanese Heritage and a much smaller scale. I immediately thought of Liz since Heritage Park is her favorite place in Calgary. Here there were people weaving fabric, welding knives, making paper, making umbrellas out of paper, etc. in their normal settings except with lots of tourists milling about. It was a lot of fun.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the monkey! There was a man and a monkey performing. Basically, the man would sing and the monkey would act out whatever the man was singing about. Then the monkey did some tricks that involved jumping through hoops. I took some videos but don’t know how to put them on here so you’ll just have to come see for yourself!! It might seem like cruelty to animals but I’ve always wanted to see something like this since I saw a lot of it in the olden age Chinese movies growing up. It’s kind of cultural right?


Pictures
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2098647806

4 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger cyclich said...

heh, hope u get to see the monkey zoo, now that is cruel... basically a big cage with monkeys that no one looks after, cuz the mentality is "if a monkey dies, we'll get a new one" heh

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger ~diana~ said...

Thanks Kyle, now I can't go to the monkey zoo. I'm sure I'll end up there regardless, we'll see.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger cyclich said...

you cant comment ur own blog, ur supposed to leave comments on mine

 
At 4:00 AM, Blogger Blanka said...

Diana, I think us Calgarians are spoiled with the Rockies. I thought the same thing when I saw the "ski" hill here. Glad to see you're getting out and enjoying the sights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home