Friday, December 29, 2006

Rice Cooker

It's hard enough to try to cook when you're not a very good cook to begin with, but lucky me, I also have the liberty of trying to use appliances that aren't labelled in English. I had my roommate show me how to use the gas stove... which is easy actually and you don't even need the labels but I have burners at home and never used a gas stove before. That was a small hurdle.

Next was the microwave. My roommate had showed me, maybe on the first or second day that I was here how to use it, but a few days later, when I actualy did need to use it, it took me another few days to figure it out. You're probably wondering how I managed to heat my food without knowing how to use the microwave? Let's just say, I might have been defrosting my food rather than heating it....actually, I have no idea. That was a bigger hurdle.

The biggest hurdle so far is the rice cooker. At home, my mom always made the rice. I have an idea of how to use a rice cooker but when I pulled out the one in the apartment I got a little perplexed. There were a few extra bottons labelled in Japanese and a little display screen. After randomly hitting the buttons, I found that maybe you can set your own timer or something. Maybe this rice cooker has multiple uses. All I wanted to do was make some rice so after hitting some more random buttons (I know which one is the cancell/stop button, it's the same as the microwave) and leaving it I just hoped that something good will come out of it.

After seeing some steam and having the smell of rice come out of the device, I got hopeful. Then when it beeped I was happy to see cooked rice. I do have to admit, it is a little bit soggy but I know how to fix that, you just leave it warming in the rice cooker for a long time. I thought ahead and intended to make the rice for dinner instead of for lunch. Tonight though, I'm going to attempt to make gratin in the toaster oven. I thought all it did was toast but clearly in English it actually says, "Toast 2-3 minutes, Cookies 2.5-3.5 minutes and Gratin 13-15 minutes". It's also got an English phrase with really bad sentence structure but I'm going to ignore that.

Yes, I'm going to make a good little housewife outta myself. :)

2 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Blogger cyclich said...

yay, you can cook for me too !!

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger kent said...

You're practically a domestic goddess.

I remember trying to use the rice cooker at the hostel in Beijing. Everything was in Mandarin and I had to ask the guy at the bar if he could tell me what was going on. But, like you, I ended up with soggy rice.

And I still don't know how to use a rice cooker....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home