Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Adoptive Family Number 3


Just before my winter vacation was over, I stayed with another AIESEC member, Azusa, and her family. Her house was cool, it's split into two, kind of like a duplex, and before her grandparents passed away, they lived in the other half of the place. That's kind of nice for her parents when they were starting out, have nice home cooked meals and still have their own space.

Anyways, that night her brother showed us pictures of his trip to Okinawa. I hope I can go there someday. It's beachy. However, their famous food is a bitter vegetable and every meal that he had had some of it in it. Gross. But, they also have dragon fruit which sounds yummy.

After dinner, he played the mandarin for us. It was nice, he played some songs that I recognised and I think it was the first time that I've heard the mandarin. At least being played live! I really appreciate live performances now...after being invited to so many jazz concerts, thank you Henry for the introduction!

I really enjoy the japanese home experience but I do appreciate also living on my own and forcing myself to cook. Also, my schedule is so sporatic, I would drive my family insane. In Canada, I have always been independant and my parents never worried too much about me. However, it is true that a japanese home is a unique experience to be had.

The interesting thing about staying with these AIESECers families is that they are always surprised to find out that I am asian, Chinese to be exact, and also that I can use chopsticks very well. I think they were expecting someone completely different but their interest in my background and in Canada is genuine and I appreciate all that.

2 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger cyclich said...

Nice, looks like no one is smiling in the picture heh

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Nithya said...

happy new year babes!!! It sounds like you are having a stellar time.. miss ya!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home