Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Same food, different taste

I've been indulging in junk food lately and that's when it hit me to write about how food tastes different here. In Japan, there are Oreo cookies, but they're not as sweet as the American version. There are Ritz crackers, but they do not have as much crystalized salt on them. There are Pringles, but there is not as much seasoning on them...your fingers don't get sticky with flavouring when you're done. You're probably thinking...so food is less flavourful? It's actually quite the opposite. I think in Japan, they have just the right amount of flavouring and when you're done, you feel just right...rather than craving more junk food. When I come home, I think I'm going to die from sensory overkill!

Now onto fruits and vegetables. The stawberries are much smaller, the bananas decent sized, the cucumbers are really cute and petit, but apples are pretty big...but I think they're natural? Anyways, small or big, they're all packed with sensational flavour. In Canada, I didn't really like strawberries because even if they are sweet, the don't have much of a strawberry taste. I can't wait to test out the other fruit! I'm not sure which ones are imported though but I'm sure only the best stuff will get imported anyways. Japan is all about freshness and good taste....except for "nato"...which is a bean in this sticky paste and to me, tastes horrible but people here love it.

2 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Blogger cyclich said...

hahaha natto is awesome......... NOT

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're right. i learned something new from you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home