Monday, March 26, 2007

A day to myself in Osaka

I had to apply for a visa for when I go to Vietnam so I decided to do it in person at the Consulate in Osaka so that I could also spend the day looking around. I was kind of scared going by myself because I was using the local rapid trains which aren't exactly tourist friendly since all the timetables are in Japanese and you pass through the most remote places. I was lucky to come across an English site (http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi?JP_MODE=0) where you can search the trains you need to take in order to get you where you want to go. I only had to switch trains once going there and returning so I was lucky. Even then though, there was one time when I had 5 minutes to find my next train and I ended up hopping onto one just before the doors closed and I wasn't even sure it was the right train. Also, the trains get really full so going to Osaka, I had to stand for the 3 hours that it took to get there.

Anyways, I found a Vietnamese restaurant and was excited to finally get my fill of Vietnamese food. I haven't come across any in Nagoya yet. I also ended up buying a new camera. It's so sweet but I will blog about that some other day after I've gotten used to using it.


I also went to Osaka port where the aquarium is. Of course I had to go see more fishies and my favorite - the jellyfish! The main attraction of this aquarium is the whale shark which swims around in the main tank which you basically walk around in a spiral till you get to the bottom. When I saw it, the biggest of the sting rays was swimming with it like the two were buddies. It was cute. In the same tank are other fish and smaller sharks.


Pictures: http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2093974333


1 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, Blogger cyclich said...

looks like a fun day-trip to osaka, hope u get ur visa thing sorted out

 

Post a Comment

<< Home