Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Izakaya, more cartilage please!

So I had the privilege of joining the boys for some izakaya at their favorite hang out. Izakaya is a Japanese style pub where people have a few drinks over some appetizers. On Friday nights, this type of place gets filled by business men but on a Monday night, I guess the students take over?
Chicken gizzard, chicken heart and something discribed as being near the liver.

Chicken cartilage and fried noodles in the background.

Anyways, this wasn't anything like the izakaya that I've been to before. The boys ordered some of their favorite dishes which included chicken heart, liver, gizzard and even cartiledge! The cartiledge was a bit weird for me. I had a hard time believing that our bodies could digest it. The weirdness continues. Have you ever had a deep fried garlic? The whole thing just chucked into the deep fryer, then served. It is a little bit toned down from the thing raw but it still tasted like garlic.
Deep Fried Garlic.

Deep fried rape blossoms.

Not everything was out of the ordinary though. There was katsu (pork) on a stick, some fried noodles, fried mochi (rice cake) with soy sauce, and a many other things. I'm glad that I tagged along on what is a normal activity for a Japanese person. I feel educated somehow.
Deep fried mochi with soy sauce. I love mochi!

3 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

yum i want some!

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is our favorite izakaya, we all know that's a best izakaya in Nagoya city, haha!! this pub is called "Kushi Taro". if you visited there again, then you are already rememberd by clerks. anyway i'll take you there again!!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Amber said...

Diana, whenever I read your blog, you're always talking about food - it's making me hungry...though probably not for gizzard or cartilage...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home