Sunday, February 11, 2007

Culture Shock

I guess if the meaning of culture shock is just noticing how things are different around you then I am definately in culture shock and I definately will still be experiencing it when I leave. I've talked to people who have been here for years and they say that the still find things different or surprising even. It's fun...but I can see how culture shock can be straining because it does take effort to take notice of things, call it overstimulation?

I'm pretty sure I haven't been homesick yet. Sure I miss people, but that's about it. I actually don't miss my parents at all and I think that's because I grew up pretty independantly from them. I'm actually thinking about whether I want to go home after this. I think I have a fear of returning home or something. Also, there are just too many other places that seem more attractive. I haven't settled on anything realistic yet and plus I have to return to Calgary to rebuild my foundation before I go off into the world again. Kind of like putting gas in your car and taking it in for a check-up. Anyways, I think I'm starting to settle in more now. I would have been here for 3 months in 1 more week. I'm just doing more with other people now and I am really loving this living on my own thing. I can't understand how people can do a 3 month internship. It's definately not enough!

Today, I decided to ride my bike to have dinner (nabe again) at an AIESECers new apartment. It was only a half hour bike ride and I realized how much I miss of Nagoya by taking the subway. I even found a pachinko places named after me! So, I must ride my bike more often to see more. Considering how big this city is, I can say that I really haven't seen much of it at all! I've seen more of Tokyo than I have of this city. Also, riding my bike home, I was reminded of the times I drove my car around at night when no one was on the streets. It's a nice feeling, very comforting and relaxing.

I am sooo full from dinner but here I am eating mini donuts. It's because after seeing the movie yesturday, I asked Aaron if he's had a donut in Japan yet. I've seen lots of donut places around, you can even get them at the convience store, but I've never tried them here yet. Then he started craving a donut and since he had missed his bus, we decided to try to explore around Nagoya station and find a donut shop. We never did end up finding one, there's actually not a whole lot around Nagoya station. But, ever since then, I have been craving donuts and here I am, eating them. :)

Oh one last thing! Seko, you mentioned to be wary of gangs around Sakae and Shin-Sakae.... Actually, Yusaku told me to be careful of guys trying to hit on me (pick me up) there because that's what guys do there. He told me that to defend myself that I just need to speak English and they'll leave me alone. Do you think that will work with the gangs too?

2 Comments:

At 12:14 PM, Blogger cyclich said...

cool! did u play any pachinko there?

 
At 4:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, you took one of the best advise from Yusaku. Don't say even just one Japanese word when stupid gangs were conming closer.
oh since tomorrow will you leave this city for a while to Hongkong? take care and have a safety trip, but have you got any good tabloids? please introduce our city and AIESEC JAPAN !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home