Monday, February 05, 2007

I need a cooking lesson....

So the other day, I discovered these packages in the supermarket that are sauces for asian dishes and right on the back are illustrations to the exact ingredients you need to add, which to me is important because I can't read the Japanese instructions. I call home telling my mom this great discovery just to hear her tell me that all I need is a bit of salt and sugar and maybe some soy sauce for color to cook my meat and vegetables in. I was surpised that I thought cooking involved so much more. I tried it and like Alan said, the meat and vegetables are what brings the flavours to a dish!

Okay, but now I have more questions:

Deep frying food is not healthy...but what if you deep fry in olive oil?
How many days can you leave leftovers in the fridge for?
Why does my leftover eggplant dish turn purple in the fridge, then go back to being brown after I heat it up?
If there's no mold, is expired food still okay to eat?
How long can I leave meat to defrost in the fridge?

Wah, so many questions! Help!

2 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger cyclich said...

1. The thing is, olive oil has a very low smoke point, so you cant get as high of temperatures for frying. As far as oils go, olive oil doesnt doesnt hydrogenate or oxidize easily, so heating it doesnt produce the trans-fat like other oils will.
2. It depends on the food, 1-5 days depending on what it is. Things with cream/meat will go bad faster than starchy foods like rice.
3. Eggplant normally turns brown after you cook it, the glucose breaks down due to the heat.
4. In general no, producers and packagers add preservatives to their products to increase its shelf life, expiry dates are estimates of when the product should be consumed by.. almost everything has an expiry date now, from beer to cheese to canned goods, as the preservatives can only do so much to prevent natural decay.
5. Meat should be left in the fridge as long as it takes to defrost, a turkey can take 24-36hrs, while bacon can usually defrost in less than a day. After its defrosted, I wouldnt leave it more than a day. On another note, meats that are defrosted rapidly, i.e. in water or microwaved, will lose some texture and wont keep as long as a leftover.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger kent said...

1. What he said.
2. Acids keep much longer than bases.
3. What he said.
4. One rule: it it doesn't smell right, it probably isn't.
5. I would take the frozen meat out in the morning, leave it in the sink or on the country, and then cook it that night. If you leave it in the fridge, it may take longer to defrost (depending on what it is).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home