Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Finishing my internship

So I am finished my internship and Liz arrives tomorrow! Sorry for not writing for so long but I have been busy. Maybe because it's my last month, but this month has been really great. With AIESEC I have been making documents and giving many presentations, including one in front of a classroom of 300 students. I didn't talk much but I was surprised that my legs didn't buckle under me. It was fun but I wish I had more time to prepare since I only found out a couple hours before hand what I had to do. Also, I've been going out for lunch and dinner with AIESEC members a lot too.
AIESEC event for "First Step" at a recycle station

One of the highlights of the last couple of weeks was what the people here call "Cake Viking". It's essentially a cake buffet but there was also pasta and a few other items that you could call lunch. The cakes were sooo good though and they were light so you could lots. Well I could anyways. After that, we (AIESEC members and I) went to take some purikura (sticker pictures) and sang some karaoke. Karaoke is cheap if you go during the day, like $1.30 for half an hour compared to the night time rate of over $12 per half hour. That was fun even though I have no talent for singing.

I also watch Blood Diamond at Midland Square at Nagoya Station. They have leather seats and prices are cheaper if you go to a late show. And by cheap I mean like $12. Normally it would cost $18. You know you're in Japan when...

Johny had another party at his house and this time he made okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake). It was the best okonomiyaki that I've ever had! Also, Johny helped me pick some Japanese movies to watch. I thought I could start learning Japanese by watching more Japanese movies...of course with English subtitles!

A random event was joining a club at Nagoya City University for a tea ceremony practice. I was teaching English to some AIESEC members and an exchange student who knew the AIESECers came by to talk to us. He told us he was there for tea ceremony and the AIESECer members insisted that I try it out so I did. It was a pretty unique experience and thank goodness it was really informal. Everything is done in a special way like how you enter the room, how you open and close the door, how to accept your sweets, how to drink your tea, how to admire your cup, etc. It was hard for me to take in everything that was going on because I was told to bow a lot. There was a girl making tea in a pot that was set inside of the floor and there were girls entering the room to bring us sweets and clear away the dishes and cups. There's also a little fan that you have to place a certain way depending on what is going on. So, that was just a quick rundown of tea ceremony. The room that we were practicing in was really cute. It had a tiny door and the Australian guy was REALLY tall so he looked funny trying to crawl through it. We all had to crawl through it so that's how tiny the door was.

I saw Sarah for the last time on Sunday. It felt like a normal day until she mentioned that it is most likely the last time that we saw each other....maybe even forever. That made me feel weird. I thought I was used to people coming and going since that was how it was like with the interns in Calgary. Well, for this special occassion, luck was not on our side. We tried to watch a movie but couldn't find the theatre. We tried another one but that one had closed down already so we were on a wild goose chase. Of course it also started to rain and we were both already sick. We ended up just having lunch and shopping. Oh well, at least I got to see Sarah!

Also, I started packing! I HATE packing and like I expected, I have too much stuff. And taking all the clothes that I don't want to the recycle station takes an enormous effort since there are specific times and each location only has one day of the week were you can chuck your stuff. Not only that but I have to ride my bike to the recycle station and I have a lot to leave behind. Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, yeah i feel good to know you enjoyed tea ceremony. yeah you should have spoken more at that time but you're actually great help for us.

see you tomorrow, but i'm sure that you would open the door saying "another staff meeting" haha!

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger cyclich said...

nice, if u close your eyes long enough maybe your stuff will pack itself

 
At 6:35 AM, Blogger kent said...

Wow, Diana, I can't believe you're done. It was nice that you got to see Sarah again.

When do you leave Japan?

Was it all worth it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home